Our meeting last night was hosted by Tom Doland in his (very organized and clean) woodshop. Tom had cooked a delicious stew -- reminiscent of chili, but better -- on his shops wood cookstove.
As always, our meeting started out with informal chewing the fat, catching up with each other and checking out some of Tom's woodworking.
Later, Tom showed us a huge chest-full of tools he had inherited from his grandfather, some of which we passed around so we could figure out what they were. Anyone know what this tool is?
The business part of our meeting was mostly about the upcoming Art of Wood Exhibit which will take place November 14th during the Helena Fall Art Walk. This year the show will be up for only one night -- November 14th, and not the entire month of November as it has been in the past. This is because the Myrna Loy Center is undergoing renovations and we had to find another venue for our show.
If you weren't able to attend the October Guild meeting, below are some important dates and facts to know. If you have any questions, please contact one of the exhibit committee members, or Tim Carney.
ART OF WOOD set-up and reception:
- The exhibit will be held at the Placer Building on the Walking Mall downtown Helena (see map below.)
- The ArtWalk runs from 6 pm to 10 pm.
- If you would like to put a piece in the show and haven't already turned in your entry form, please contact Tim Carney at 461-8621 or Mike Flanagan at 459-6580. Please do this right away.
- The entry fee is $15 for the first piece and $10 for any subsequent piece.
- Those participating in the show must bring their pieces to the Placer Building between 10 am and 12 pm on November 14th.
- It will take longer to set up the show this year. We need to install lighting because the Placer does not have the gallery-type of lighting we have enjoyed at the Myrna in the past. Please plan to stick around for at least a couple of hours if you can, to help set up the show.
- We will have to take the show down after 10pm that same night. So be prepared for that. We do not want to leave pieces in the building overnight.
- All guild members are asked to help by bringing a platter (or 2!) of hors d'oeurves for the reception. The Guild will provide punch and wine, cups, napkins, tables, tablecloths
- Guild members who have not already done so need to pay their dues ($25) right away. Mail your check to Bill Pratt, our new treasurer, at 1035 Avian Rd. Helena, MT 59602.
ART OF WOOD promotion & preparation
We are printing up 4x6 announcement cards for guild members to invite their friends to the show. Watch the website for when they are ready.
Other guild business: